Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 5, 2010

To Make A Stand....

One Tree Hill - awesome art from here

Ephesians 4:14

That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

I was concerned about a clip that I saw yesterday - and this scripture came into my head....(thanks seminary!)   and it got me thinking.....Do I just go along with the crowd? or do I have conviction enough in my beliefs? (and I am talking all kinds here, not just religious) That if I was surrounded by those who didn't agree with me, to the point of mocking, would I still stand firm or would I waver?? 

I was part of an experiment when I was studying psychology (a million years ago)  and the study was on exactly that - they had a group of people in a room discussing a topic, such as abortion, and it was purposely set up so that a few were the minority opinion  - to see if within a group situation would people feel pressure to conform their opinion. I didn't have a problem at all speaking my mind, even being the minority, in that kind of situation....

BUT....

What if the group was in fact "society" and those beliefs and opinions were broadcast by all forms of media.....What then?? Would the mass popularizing of an opposing view in all kinds of desirable, positive light make me doubt my own?? What if the government (and this makes me think of North Korea, Nazi Germany, Communist China) enforced a certain belief? Would I still stand for my own??

Would you???

No comments:

Post a Comment